Thursday, April 10, 2014

Poetry...Easier Than You Think

I just recently worked through a poetry unit with my third and fourth grade English Language Learners. It was really a lot of fun.  My students really enjoyed it and didn't even realize how much they were learning about nouns, verbs and adjectives as well as poetic devices such as rhythm & rhyme and alliteration and syllables.  Believe it or not, their favorite type of poem to both read and write was the haiku.  I can remember when I was in elementary school thinking that haiku was very challenging to write.  I am so excited that they came away with positive attitudes towards poetry.  I loved it!
Here are some of the anchor charts we put together:
 

My students then created a poetry book that they are sooooo proud of.  Right now it's traveling around being shade with their families! Way to go my young friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment