Saturday, March 30, 2013

Writing and Grandpa

I know it has been a while since I have blogged, but I have been doing a lot of self-reflection lately. Until I started this blog and creating my units, it has been a long time since I have WRITTEN anything other than emails.  Now I am writing poetry (among other things) again and it feels great.

I know this seems unrelated, but I just spent some time with my elderly grandfather.  He lives in a wonderful assisted-living small home.  The folks there take excellent care of him.  He has advanced macular degeneration, is for the most part extremely deaf (this is new within the past few months), and is in advanced stages of kidney failure.  Every day we are expecting a phone call~not the good kind.  About three weeks ago we received news that things had taken a turn for the worse- he was jittery and grumpy (this is unusual for him), was not eating, had his nights and days mixed up and his kidneys were showing signs of worsening.  They even called in Hospice who gave him some medication to ease his symptoms.  The care my grandpa is receiving is phenomenal.

So we went to visit him this past week (my Spring Break).  We were in for quite a surprise.  He looks great (at least for someone who is 92-almost 93 with all of his issues).  He's been eating a little bit again, is drinking fluids and is sleeping better.  His heart and lungs are fine (especially since he's a smoker and has been since he was young) and he still gets around with his walker and is even feeding the birds who visit him on his back porch. However, we (my parents, my aunt and myself) had to leave to return home.  So we did some things in preparation~some of the most difficult things a person can do in my opinion: we met with the funeral home to make plans for the inevitable and sat down to discuss details, including his obituary.

This is the connection to my opening... I am going to write his obituary, even though he is still alive and kicking (well maybe it's more like shuffling along).  I am ready, but it's a challenging task.  I just hope I can honor him in the way he deserves.  My grandpa is a wonderful man.
Grandpa!!!

Glitter Words
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Words*]

No comments:

Post a Comment