Thursday, November 8, 2012

Routines

This year I am blessed to have a Special Needs child in my classroom.  She is amazingly successful and my other students adore her.  I have always known that students, especially my first grade monkeys, depend on routines to make each day great.  But this to this little girl, routines are crucial. This is a sample of the Morning Routine chart I have created so all my students know what to expect to start the day.


ClassDojo is a fantastic tool that I discovered this past summer and am using this year in my classroom.  The website is:  www.classdojo.com .  Both my students and I feel it is a great tool.  I use it to take daily attendance and monitor both positive and negative behaviors.  It even has mobile capabilities to help me monitor behavior when we are out of the classroom, like at recess or walking in the hallways.  I usually have the ClassDojo website opened on my SmartBoard throughout the school day.

My Morning Message is a brief paragraph where I deliberately make mistakes for my students to find.  I provide hints (the mistakes are in red ink) to make the errors easy to find and correct.  We read and correct the message together.  The message consists of the date, what we are having for specials and lunch, and usually one additional sentence about a special event or maybe pertaining to the day's objectives.  Mistakes may be related to punctuation, spacing between words, reversals, capitalization or spelling.  My monkeys are really great not only at finding the errors, but at telling me what the corrections should be as well as why they need to be corrected. I do my Morning Message on a white board with my Document Camera/Projector.

Stacey


2 comments:

  1. I have read so much about ClassDojo. I think I might need to look into it further.

    Your routine cards are cute...I love the giraffe background. =)

    I am happy to be your 1st follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and for being my first follower! I am definitely heading to your blog next.


      Delete