Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nonsense Words

I'm not sure about everyone else out there, but I find it hard sometimes coming up with activities that are engaging to practice nonsense words.  Since there is no meaning attached to nonsense words, they are really difficult  for my English Language Learners.  So my thought is that if there is no meaning attached, they at least need to be in a cute game to get the students interested.  I made this Hungry Hippos Game that is fun.  I am trying to encourage my kids to increase their Whole Words Read scores on their DIBELS progress monitoring so when we play the game I give them 3-5 seconds to read the nonsense word or it goes to the next player.  The kids have fun with this challenge.  They also have fun trying to avoid the "hungry" card.

No comments:

Post a Comment