Monday, October 29, 2012

Tens and Ones in the Fall


Hi All!
With all of the pressures of meeting the Common Core Standards and meeting state and district goals, it seems like sometimes we forget to celebrate the holidays with our little monkeys.  So whenever I can, I like to integrate fun craft activities into our Essential Learning Targets (ELTs).  
These are two different activities that I did with the Number Sense Standard.  Above are my Tens and Ones Trees.  The branches represent the "tens" and the leaves are the "ones".  When my students made the trees, they glued ten leaves on each branch to show that ten ones make up one ten.  The ones were then the leaves that fell off the tree.
Below are my Tens and Ones Monsters made from rolled construction paper.  The appendages are the tens and the spots (either colored dot stickers or stars) are the ones.  The same concept as the tree branches and leaves applied here. Not only did we practice basic place value, but we decorated the room for the holidays. Happy Halloween!
Stacey






No comments:

Post a Comment