Saturday, October 20, 2012

Parent Teacher Conferences

Parent Teacher Conferences are coming up. In order to get ready, I have created binders for each student.  The binders will hopefully have everything I need to discuss with the parents.  They have a checklist that will help keep me on target with my limited time with each parent.  Since I know I have a tendency to "gab", I need something to keep me focused.  The binder will also have our district report card.  I will be sure to have all of their assessments included as well.  

During conferences I always remember that the parents are their child's first teachers.  For this reason I ask them to initiate the conference by telling me how they think their child is progressing.  If the student comes to the conference, I ask for their input.  I teach first graders so their input is fairly limited to words like "good" or "okay".  From there I go to my binders.

I always try to keep things positive.  For every negative I try to say two positive things.  I encourage all parents to read and write with their children, even if it is in a language other than English. 

Parent Teacher Conferences are often stressful for teachers. I used to be nervous about conferences but now I look at it as a time for me to get to know the families a little better.  I look forward to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment